Let's Talk At the Barre

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

I'm a big fan barre style workouts. Maybe it's my ballet and dance training growing up but I really love the concept and the different "techniques" and programs remind me of the variety of conditioning classes we would do in between more traditional classes of jazz, ballet/pointe, and tap during my dance competition years. Of course, don't let "barre" fool you. By and large, many barre workouts you will experience don't necessarily feel like dance nor do they necessarily require the grace and coordination of a ballerina. Rather, barre is inspired by ballet but also has strong influences from yoga, pilates, and mainly and probably most importantly, the Lotte Berk Method. Using a ballet bar for balance, you do small, isometric strength training movements. Many of the barre methods of fitness include light handheld weights or resistance bands to up the intensity of high repetitions. Different workouts may also incorporate a small ball or towel for resistance. There is a lot of focus on form and keeping the movements small.



When I first tried barre I didn't know what to make of it. I'm used to big expansive yoga postures, creating length and posture in pilates, or big explosive strength training movements in BodyPump or HIIT workouts. I wasn't entirely sure barre was DOING anything. In all honesty, though much if it felt familiar to those conditioning classes when I was dancing as a teen, I just couldn't recall if I ever noted the benefit. Was I stronger, more toned, more flexible? I think so...

Fast forward to present day. If one thing is for certain, barre classes certainly make you FEEL like you're doing something. The sensation is one of a burning, shaking muscle working to near failure. But what does that mean in the grand scheme of things? Is that the perfect sign that you're changing your body? Maybe. Barre devotees say "embrace the shake". It sure as heck burns so it may be doing something right? Here is my conclusion. To a degree, it is doing something. Although I'm not necessarily sure you should put all of your weight into the "shaking" that occurs as the hallmark sign you are effecting change. A quick exercise physiology lesson reveals that we may only be feeling that sensation because the range of motion being used is less effective at removing the metabolic waste being created in the muscle, hence the burn. If you thrive on a no pain, no gain mentality, then you'll certainly feel like you're achieving something in barre. And not that you aren't, I just wouldn't put all my stock into this type of training as the be all, end all of your workout program.



Don't get me wrong, in many cases I'm a big proponent of this type of training and I feel like it has a place in many of our workout programs...and as I stated before, I just love barre. But even I will acknowledge that barre classes alone does not a well rounded exercise program make. Rather, isometric based training can, and probably should be, a compulsory component of a more traditional cardiovascular and strength training program. In traditional strength training, you are working through a complete range of motion using various levels of resistance. In isometric based training, you contract the muscle and then keep it at relatively the same length for the duration of the exercise. Research has shown that this type of training can aid in muscle strength and development and serves as a wonderful compliment to what we view as more traditional styles of training. Ideally, a well rounded fitness program will include cardiovascular training, strength training using full range of motion concentric and eccentric movement patterns, isometric strength training, and flexibility. As a matter of fact, isometric training has been show to potentially cause negative effects to the elasticity of muscle. This is why barre programs place a great deal of focus on flexibility training incorporating stretching in between each exercise. This subsequently makes barre a great way to incorporate flexibility training into your program, an oft overlooked and important component to your training.

Finally, be cautious of some of the "postures" used in your barre classes especially in regards to the position of your pelvis. Many of these techniques focus on the "posterior" pelvic tilt or "tucked" pelvis. Excessive time spent in this position can begin to effect your spine and result in pain and maladaptive movement patterns. Be sure to incorporate training that focusing on anterior and neutral pelvis patterns as well. Some of the barre programs are better than others at focusing on more neutral spinal patterns. Of course, if you are concerned, or are currently experiencing issues from barre workouts, I would seek the advise of your physician or employ a physical therapist to evaluate your program and movement patterns and recommend corrections.

As for my own personal results... given that I do not participate in barre workouts exclusively, I cannot speak to the benefit or results in isolation. I have incorporated barre into my general fitness program which includes various methods of strength training, cardio, and flexibility. I have heard and read about many women who swear by this method of training and have benefitted from impressive results including weight loss and increased muscle definition. Of course, a main component here is that ANY program that gets you up and moving and not sedentary, paired with a healthy diet, will yield you results. To what degree barre ALONE will help you achieve these results varies I'm sure. Going forward, I plan on paying closer attention to the benefits of incorporating barre training in my regular workout routine. Informally, I feel it certainly contributes to my ability to maintain strength, muscle definition, and flexibility. In fact, as I've mentioned in other posts, barre training has served as a great low impact prenatal workout for me in my current pregnancy.



While I do feel strongly that barre workouts should be part of a a more comprehensive fitness regimen, I plan to experiment by performing barre only workouts in my post natal period. I will likely incorporate walking as well, and will likely return to teaching my BodyFlow and BodyPump classes late this Spring. But besides participating in these forms of exercise, I'm going to shift my focus to barre workouts and make some notes on gains I see in strength, flexibility, weight loss, and muscle definition. I am curious to informally evaluate the pros and cons of solely using barre workouts (well almost) to achieve fitness goals. I'll report back!

So...discuss! I want to know any and everything. I am no exercise physiologist but I have a working knowledge from my training as a group fitness instructor. If I have any of this information wrong I am not above being corrected...always learning and always willing to hear from the truly HIGHLY educated experts! Only helps me do a better job in leading and educating my participants. Also, have you tried barre classes? What do you think? How regularly did you participate and what were your results? Do you only participate in barre classes or do you incorporate them as part of a more balanced fitness program? Tell me anything and everything!

Finally, still scratching your head on what the heck barre is and where to find programs? Many of the barre techniques are national franchises that run boutique style fitness studios and offer home based DVD programs as well. Many communities, including my own, also offer barre classes at local gyms, pilates, and fitness studios. A Google search will turn up TONS of different methods...here are a few familiar names and favorites in no particular order:

Pure Barre
Barre3
Xtend Barre
The Bar Method
The Barre Code
Pink Barre
Booty Barre 
Physique 57
The Lotte Berk Method


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs