Bao Bei Belly Sport Bra

Monday, March 9, 2015

This weekend, I finally had the opportunity to try a great new product discovery for pre- (and post!) natal momma's. It is called the Belly Sport Bra by Bao Bei Maternity. This is one of those pregnancy accessories that you don't know you need until you try it. A few weeks ago, I connected with Bao Bei on Instagram and discovered this product. I procrastinated and only got around to ordering it approximately 1 week ago. Shipping was prompt and I didn't have an opportunity to really try it out until yesterday. Nothing like waiting until the 11th hour huh? Oh well, I still consider it a good investment since I will enjoy wearing it up until delivery day and beyond. It is proving to be a great accessory for postpartum tummies as well, especially after a c-section. While I don't anticipate needing a cesarean at this point and anticipate another uncomplicated vaginal birth (fingers crossed!) I know plenty of momma's, cesarean or not, who would benefit from this support after baby as well.

The "bra" is a modern take on your traditional maternity support belt. Suzanne Koval designed this product and she specializes in Women's Health Physiotherapy. 


For weeks I have been dealing with immense pressure on my pelvic floor including moderate symphysis pubis pain, SI join instability, low back aches, and round ligament discomfort. I don't remember these issues with Connor. I guess that's the struggle with having an over 9 pound baby the first time and going for round 2 just 9 short months later. Not a whole lot of time to rehab your core and pelvic floor! I got some minor relief from a PT with some kinesiotaping for my SI joint and some pelvic adjustment and pelvic floor exercises but I really should have been using a product like this sooner. Better late than never though! I obtained almost immediate relief wearing the band and noticed a difference in my comfort level during a BodyFlow workout and some walking. 

I absolutely adored the 4 way stretch fabric. I wasn't entirely sure just how "supportive" it would feel but the fabric choice felt sturdy and supportive without being uncomfortably tight. Honestly, it provided the sensation of a supportive "hug" for your midsection. The fabric was breathable and stayed put during activity. I was worried it would ride up or require constant adjustment but I was able to complete an entire BodyFlow class with virtually no tugging or rearranging. The fit was also spot on. Just follow the recommendations for sizing from the website. 

Given that I hopped on the belly sport bra train so late, I'm really excited to get continued use out of my band postpartum. I love this Q&A from their website:

"Can I wear it postpartum?
Yes!  Please do!!  We are putting the CORE back in COREset.  The belly sport bra will give you coverage and cuing to your abs as you heal and restore your body from pregnancy.  You should not wear products that squeeze or squish your abdomen postpartum as they can put harmful forces on the body and pelvic floor.  Lots of Bao Bei Maternity customers find that their Belly Sport Bra provides the perfect amount of support and some even purchase the next size down as their body changes postpartum."
I purchased the product in black but it also comes in two other stylish colors that would coordinate with your exercise wardrobe including an eggplant purple and turquoise blue. Unfortunately, since most of my prenatal workout gear is black and gray, it's a bit difficult to see the outline of the band in the pictures I took. I swear I'm wearing it though! Wish I'd purchased a different color just for contrast sake so I can show it off but I'm a plain jane and wanted to be sure it coordinated with all of my gear both pre and post baby.


I'm really excited to continue to wear this band especially as I get back to teaching my classes in a few weeks. I plan on attending another fitness certification for a core training class we're bring to our gym and I know this will help give me the extra support I need to get through the training comfortably.

While Bao Bei connected with me on Instagram to tell me about their product, I chose to purchase it independently and review it on my blog. I have not been compensated by Bao Bei nor collaborated with them for this review. All opinions are my own. I loved my experience with this product and felt compelled to share this awesome discovery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs