AFAA Aqua Fitness Certification

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

It's a rainy, rainy day here in the sunshine state so I figured this was the perfect opportunity to chat about my Aqua Fitness certification course hosted by AFAA (Aerobics and Fitness Association of America) this past Sunday...you know, continue the H20 theme today.



Currently, I'm working PRN hours at work and decided to take a mental health day. I am literally running on empty. This has been an immensely exhausting, emotional, and stressful couple of weeks (nothing major but you know how those little things add up!) and I'm at the end of my rope. I needed to take a beat. I'm posted up in Panera enjoying their Low-Fat Mango Smoothie, a half caf coffee (hello no sleep at 35 weeks) and their Avocado, Spinach, and Egg White Breakfast sandwich. Delish. Thankful for my sitter today. I always feel bad taking Connor to the sitter on days I have off but Mommy needed a major reset today. I'll probably enjoy some yoga, a pedi and a nap later before I pick up the kiddo. T-Minus 5 weeks until Declan graces us with his presence so I'm trying to fit in a few days off for some me time, a day with Andrew, and some one on one time with Connor. 

Anyway, let's talk aqua fitness! Attending this certification was completely random. I actually discovered that my gym was hosting the course the week before when I received our newsletter. Given that I'm slowly trying to chip away at a goal to shift my career to more fitness/health related work, I'm trying to rack up various trainings, education, and certification opportunities. It is really helpful to broaden your scope and figure out what clicks. Plus, the networking opportunities with different certifications and educational trainings are invaluable and can open up doors you weren't even looking for. 

To be honest, while I have taken aqua fitness classes in the past, I am not currently a participant in classes nor have I ever taught an aqua based class. These last few weeks of pregnancy I have strongly debated trying to incorporate a class or two a week since my pelvis is so out of whack and the bath gives me immense relief...why not work out in the pool! We are lucky Floridians and have a pool in our backyard but it's too cold this time of year! In investigating aqua fitness more, I realized there is an amazing application for this fitness format, especially for "special populations" such as those who are injured or disabled, prenatal fitness, geriatric populations etc. I feel like branching into aqua fitness gives me the opportunity to potentially blend fitness instructing with populations I'm already helping as a speech language pathologist. As many of the patients I treat at the hospital recover and return to home, they become the perfect candidates for this type of fitness program. Many patients will continue to have lingering joint issues, muscle weakness, or cognitive decline from stroke, heart disease, injury, etc. I have heard that many aqua fit participants at our gym are older adults with arthritis, stroke or cancer survivors, or navigating neurological diagnoses such as Parkinson's Disease. There are certainly younger participants as well who potentially enjoy a more advanced level of fitness and aqua classes can be a great way to cross train, incorporate active rest, or rehabilitation from a sports injury. Not to mention a pool workout is great for moms-to-be, especially in that last trimester. As I've mentioned, I've become immensely interested in specializing in pre/post-natal fitness and will continue to pursue education and training to begin working with this population in a bigger way.

The course began at our local gym, Gainesville Health and Fitness Center, promptly at 9am. Our gym has three locations including two co-ed locations and women's only location. What we refer to as the "main center" houses our aquatic center where we have a large lap pool, therapeutic whirlpools including hot and cold plunge pools, and dry and steam saunas. 



The course was instructed by, Yoko, an energetic and entertaining presenter. She described her many years of fitness experience with over 20 years leading aqua based classes. She was friendly, engaging, and funny! Always a bonus when the instructor has a great sense of humor. I always feel that it puts the entire group at ease and not only does it make the presentation enjoyable to listen to but it helps loosen people up so they engage more by asking questions and offering examples which further the success of the education provided. 

After filling out some forms, we were given our course manual and dove right in (haha, no pun intended). I want to offer a few points of constructive criticism here. So, unfortunately, Yoko informed us that the course would be cut short by about 2 hours since she had a flight to catch and the airport was two hours away. No big deal but I felt like this resulted in certain classroom discussions feeling a bit rushed. She eliminated some anatomy and physiology review, which for most of us wasn't a big deal, but I feel like this is always beneficial no matter how knowledgable the group is. Especially for a course like this since the physics of the water and movement patterns performed change some of the principles. Also, the registration process didn't make it entirely clear what materials would be needed for the day. I scoured the confirmation emails I had been sent and re-read the online description but I saw no mention of being prepared with swimwear or a towel. Now, you may be saying, "DUH CATIE, IT'S AQUAFIT" but still... I have to admit that I ALMOST didn't bring one and then at the last minute I said "DUH CATIE, IT'S AQUATFIT...YOU'RE PROBABLY GETTING IN THE POOL"... so needless to say, I was right. Go prepared with swimwear for the practical portion of the class.



Overall, the course material was excellent, though presented in a slightly disjointed fashion. There was solid review of hydrodynamics which was very beneficial. Again, once you hear it, it seems like common sense, but it was very important to be taught to understand how exercise principles and movement patterns can change in the water when considering moving against fluid, changes in inertia, etc. Yoko emphasized that the way you instruct, the exercises you choose, and the pace at which you teach and coach participants to move HAS to change because you are in the water. For example, many times, you don't necessarily work to the beat of the music as it's typically too fast to achieve the proper range of motion against the resistance of the water. This isn't simply doing land based cardio or strength training in the pool. This section of the course was a great intro but I personally know I will be doing more studying to better understand these principles and be better equipped to properly coach and choose exercises when leading my own classes. 

Also, (and I want to drive this point home if you're interested in instructing aqua fitness) I would very much anticipate that the majority of class participants in this format will be the older adult, or special population as described above. You would be doing yourself and your participants a disservice, and potentially causing a safety issue, if you don't spend some time educating yourself on how to exercise with certain injuries or limitations or avoid risk of injury in the population that is more prone. There are many excellent continuing education courses to address further knowledge in this area. While aqua fitness is a great medium for these types of participants, it by no means eliminates the risk of injury. 

The course also did a good job of introducing very basic aqua fitness movement patterns. The class was structured around a cue card using these base movements to lead an effective warm-up, incorporate cardiovascular training, strength/endurance muscular training, flexibility, and balance. Skill training is also becoming very big on the fitness front and suggestions on incorporating exercises to address balance and agility were offered. The constructive criticism that I would offer here is that I don't necessarily feel prepared to design an engaging, hour long aqua class based on the exercises presented alone. I feel this information builds a solid foundation but anyone truly interested in beginning to teach aqua classes would be well served in pursing additional training, education, and resources to structure classes that are safe, engaging, and have variety. 

After a brief break for lunch, Yoko took to the water and we watched her demonstrate virtually all the basic moves from the cue card discussed that morning. She personally incorporates both in water and out of water instruction from the pool deck. She also uses an acronym, SWEAT, and holds laminated letter cards up during her class to cue participants to change speed, range of motion, direction, etc. She told us that many aqua classes don't necessarily have access to a microphone so visuals, through either demonstration or written formats, are very helpful so participants can better understand how to perform the workout. After her demonstration, the class got in the water and performed all of the movements as she called them out. She was able to watch each of us from the deck and make form corrections and suggestions. She also incorporated her verbal and visual cue techniques to we could become familiar with how to change movement patterns for our participants. She then led us through an abbreviated class with music to get the feel for a basic aqua fitness class.

A quick word on equipment. In many aqua classes, equipment is incorporated into the workout for extra resistance and variety. It's common to see foam "dumbells", foam noodles, floatation belts, kickboards, fins, resistance bands, or webbed gloves used. I would take some time to carefully research current trends and recommendations for the use of equipment in classes. Yoko was a huge fan of webbed gloves and suggested that items like foam dumbbells aren't really necessary and can even cause injury due to lack of proper form when holding the object. Each gym will have different policies on the equipment that can be used and long time class participants may have preferences and be resistant to change. Do some research and have some discussions on what will work best for your classes.

All equipment by Speedo




Also, in regards to apparel, I appreciated the suggestion that not only the instructor, but the participants should be encouraged to wear comfortable and appropriate swimwear. This is not the class to show of your super cute J.Crew bikini. An athletic swim suit or even swim leggings and fitted rash guard should do the trick. Footwear is also recommended to prevent slips and trips in and around the pool. Simple slip on water shoes or water sneakers are a great idea.

All apparel by Speedo






Overall, the class was a very positive experience. It was an excellent introduction but again, for myself personally, I don't yet feel ready to lead a class effectively based on this certification course alone. I plan to begin attending aqua classes at my gym more regularly and make some time to chat with current, experienced instructors. I have also discovered a handful of additional resources and YouTube videos (several of which I'll share below) that will help me prepare. After I deliver and get back to teaching, I will likely see if I can team teach a few classes with current instructors to ease into leading this new format. 

So chat with me! Do you teach aqua fitness classes? Have you taken AFAA's course? What additional  resources or training would you recommend for the new aqua fit instructor? I'd love to hear for you and discuss more! 

Resources to get you started -

Aqua Fitness Education, Training, and Resources:


Special Populations:

(I am not affiliated with, nor compensated to promote, any of the above products, programs or organizations. As a group fitness instructor, this is a list of my own personal resources that I have independently compiled.)

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree, about your comment on it can always help to have additional certifications! Years ago I took a life saving EMT class, one would have thought how would I ever need that. But the different certifications have actually given me bonus at different jobs at times. If companies have certain employee's who are certified in CPR and A.E.D it gives them a tax break, so I got a bonus once just for keeping those skills up to date for the company, go figure:)
    I think the Aqua Fitness Certification is awesome, and a lot of fun too! You could use it later on to make a little side money. I have friends who do things like that locally at different fitness centers to create vacation funds for their families!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I never considered that different employers would benefit from employees having certain certifications. I take it for granted since I need BLS/CPR/AED certification for my day job at a hospital as an SLP. The Aqua fit cert was a lot of fun and I hope to start teaching some classes in the next few months. I am currently a group fitness instructor at my gym and teach primarily Les Mills BodyFlow and BodyPump. I would do it for free honestly but it's a great source of extra pocket cash and my husband and I get comped gym memberships so that alone is worth it! Chat soon :)

      Delete

 
site design by designer blogs