Maternity Active Wear, Cankles, and Why This Won't Be a Baby Fitness Blog Forever

Friday, January 30, 2015

I promise this blog is not intended to be a diary of all things prenatal fitness related. Obviously, since that is my reality right now, it's forefront in my mind and the topics flow naturally. Plus, I know lots of Momma's and Momma's-To-Be who might benefit from my knowledge and experience. Either way, I'd love for you to keep checking in as I intend to address all aspects of fitness and wellness. In the coming months, I have some exciting ideas to share here, experiences for which I'd like to take you along for the ride, and much more! But for now, lemme bitch about my cankles...

Holy. Moly. With my pregnancy with Connor, and now with Declan, I've been largely spared from the edema. However, I know many women who have suffered with the swell. Unfortunately, this is largely something you probably can't control. As pregnancy progresses, changes in blood chemistry will cause fluid to shift to your tissue. Not to mention the pressure your uterus puts on your pelvic veins and vena cava pooling all of your blood below your knees, resulting in marshmallow extremities. Pregnancy is so. sexy. The big barometer tends to be the day when you have to stop wearing your wedding rings. I'm eternally thankful that I've been spared having to banish my bling to my jewelry box...but my ankles! Awful. I'm on my feet all day running around a hospital as a speech therapist and it's doing me no favors in the lower extremities. By 4:30 my legs are feeling tight, swollen and look awful. If this is your plight, the tips you can find online have helped me. Here are my favorites:
- While you should avoid standing for long periods of time, physical activity is good and keeps the blood flowing. I've been walking and doing workouts like barre, yoga, and resistance training with prenatal modifications.
- Avoid extra salt.
- Drink LOTS of water...side effect of having to pee more than I already do sucks but it's good for you!
- Nightly leg and ankle massages with my Mamma Mio Lucky Legs Gel...thanks to my amazing husband who would probably feed me grapes too if I let him. My elephant ankles are eternally thankful for the pampering.

- Some people swear by compression hose or socks. I haven't gotten on board with this yet. While I'm sure it will help...and while it's technically winter here in Florida...those just sound so hot and uncomfortable.

Finally, do me a favor. Keep an eye on the swelling in your legs. It's generally cause for concern, and a call to your doctor, if he swelling is sudden, severe, or if one leg is more swollen and painful than the other signaling issues with blood pressure or blood clots.

Ok, so convinced staying active can help control your poor puffy legs? Good. Now to dress the part. I wanted to share my favorite pregnancy find...Old Navy Active Maternity! Due to the nature of gym wear, I was able to get away with my normal gym wardrobe for about 20 weeks without fear of stretching out my clothes too much...or just looking unsightly. However, though 20 weeks remained, it just wasn't long enough to warrant expensive investment in maternity active wear...even though I practically live in yoga pants if I'm not in scrubs. Cue Old Navy. I actually LOVE their active wear line. One of my favorite pairs of compression tights are made by them. Their gym duds are well made and at an attractive price point. They even get in on some of the cute trends like patterned leggings. Same holds true for their maternity versions of their active wear line. While there isn't a HUGE selection, I was able to choose some super comfortable, very affordable, quality pieces to get me through the last half of my pregnancy. I kept the styles simple but I was able to score a cute pair of compression capri's in a trendy pattern. I purchased the following:


1/4 Zip Top - Perfect for chilly Florida days heading to and from the gym or as an extra layer for walks and outdoor workouts.


Smocked Side Tanks - in sky, carbon, and black. SUPER flattering, wicking, and comfortable.


My FAVORITE - Compression Capris in black jack print. Also purchased in black. LOVE the full belly panel. Keeps things smooth and they stay up. Love the subtle, trendy pattern as well. 


My other favorite - Long Boot Cut Compression Pant - same merits as above only longer.



Empire Hoodie - Soft, cozy and flattering fit. Great as an extra layer for gym and lounging around the house.

So tell me... what are your favorite remedies for swollen ankles and where have you purchased your favorite maternity active wear?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs